Respect in the Workplace
Lack of respect in the workplace happens more than we would like to think. The hope would be that people would demonstrate respect for one another when working together.
Often times the lack of respect shown by employees to each other is due to the fact that they are not shown respect by the management personnel.
Management staff need to lead by example and respect should be at the top of the list.
In the workplace when leadership shows respect in the following ways, it promotes employees to show respect for each other also;
1. Respect employees personal lives and lifestyles.
2. Show respect by actively listening to employees and responding to what they are saying.
3. Show courtesy and respect during all encounters with employees.
4. Make sure employees are compensated accordingly for the work they do. You show that you respect their value to the company.
5. Let employees know that how their performance is valued by you and the company.
These five points may seem like “no brainers” but it is amazing how many employees say that these points do not happen in their workplace.
Showing lack of respect on all levels in the workplace should be addressed in the company’s progressive discipline policy and adhered to by everyone. When respect is not shown for one another, the workplace becomes toxic quite fast.
Why is disrespect is allowed in the workplace?
How is disrespect handled in your place of employment?
Tina Del Buono, PMAC on
Sep 8th, 2015 8:00 am
Filed under Communication, Employee Management, Leadership, Manager Topics . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.
Comments are closed.