Can You Find Passion At A Job You Hate?
The time you spend at your work may be the least favorite part of your day, but it doesn’t have to stay that way. If you are working a job that you have come to dislike there may a be a few things you can do to turn that around according the article that appeared on MSN Money (see below).
More often than not, when we become dissatisfied with our job, that becomes our focus and we can see nothing else. We dread each day at work like it were the plague and this affects our home life as well.
If you want to make your job work, you will need to step back and assess your situation then, take the following steps that can be used improve your situation and bring life and passion back into your work.
1. Talk to your boss about opportunities within the company – Are there special projects that you could work on to inspire your creativeness? Are there other tasks that you could learn that would be interesting to you? You will never know what opportunities are available unless you ask.Try to control your trajectory as much as you can – We know that if we can lay out our daily course we feel much better about it. You may not be able to control all of how and what you need to do, but what can you control?
2. Identify a mentor – This may be someone within your company or not. I found mine outside of my industry and it was the best step that I ever did to move ahead to where I ultimately want to go career wise.
3. Try to control your trajectory as much as you can – We know that if we can lay out our daily course we feel much better about it. You may not be able to control all of how and what you need to do, but what can you control?
4. Get a certificate or degree – Take a night course or two that offers training in an area that you would like to pursue. Education is the key to growth and opportunity.
5. Seek out positives – This is the one that I like the best. Ask yourself, “what did I like about this job?” There had to be a good reason you thought you would like it. What is it that you do in your job that gives you satisfaction?
For example: You work in a busy restaurant, it is hectic and demanding of your every moment, but when that customer says “thank you, that was a great meal” it makes you feel good. Focus on that feeling and then try to bring it out in each customer you serve.
It may take time to change that feeling of dread, but if you seek out what you are passionate about and apply it at work, things really can change.
This quote from the Fish book pretty much sums it up.
“There is always a choice about the way you do your work, even if there is no choice about the work itself. We can choose the attitude we bring to our work.” ~ Stephen Lundin, Author of “Fish!”
on Feb 5th, 2018
Filed under Article, Goal Management, Happiness, Inspirational, Self-improvement, Work Issues . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.
Comments are closed.